Cultural Contacts Fund
The proceedings of a conference held in Shetland in April 2003 by the Nordic Cooperative Committee for Onomastic Research (NORNA), the Scottish Place-Name Society (SPNS) and the Society for Name Studies in Britain and Ireland (SNSBI) were published as:
Cultural Contacts in the North Atlantic Region: The Evidence of Names, edited by Peder Gammeltoft, Carole Hough and Doreen Waugh (Lerwick, 2005; ISBN 0-9551838-0-4)
The volume is available at £10.00 per copy, plus £2.50 postage and packing (UK only). Please send a cheque payable to SCOTTISH PLACE-NAME SOCIETY to:
Professor Carole Hough,
University of Glasgow,
Glasgow G12 8QQ
Profits from the sale of the volume are used to fund grants of up to £200 to enable students of onomastics to attend conferences. The grants are administered by a small steering committee representing the three societies. Students who wish to apply should contact the convener of the committee at the above address, or by email at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Applications should be made at least two months before the conference is scheduled to take place, and should include the following information:
- Student’s name, contact details, institution and degree programme
- Name and contact details of Supervisor or Director of Studies
- Conference title, organising body, date and location
- Title of paper or poster to be presented (if applicable)
- Approximate costs (travel, registration, accommodation etc.)
A decision will normally be made within six weeks.